Friday, August 26, 2005

Why Jelly or is it Jello or is it Jelly or is it ...

Several years ago I explored the possibility of a vocational call to ordained priesthood in the Church of England. My vicar and the local Diocesan Director of Ordainands prescribed some reading about what priesthood meant in today's CofE. With much of this reading it felt as if I were "juggling with jelly" (that's jello to those in the US and Canada) because the concepts being described were difficult to grab hold off, just as difficult as picking up jelly with your bare hands let alone juggling with it. Between us (vicar, the other ordained staff, the DDO and me) we decerned that there was a vocational call to service amongst God's people in the CofE but not as ordained priest.

Even though I won't be spinning my collar the exploration revived my interest in theology, which had lain dormant for many years while persuing a career as a computing scientist. Any professional academic theologians who wander past might be horrified at what I think but perhaps they'll stay longer enough to aid me in making the jelly more solid.

0 Comments:

<< Home